Footprints

Footprints

4/30/07

Unexpected Visions of Him

When you least expect it Richie will flash through my mind. His smile, his laugh, his face. But I don't cry when I think of him, I just let my mind wander over the memory. I cherish the moments like this now because it means I have not forgotten what he looked like or smelled like or what it felt like when he was near me.

Memories can be tricky. They can make you cry, make you laugh or make you angry, but it seems like I can't quite put an emotion on what Richie's memories mean to me.

Last night I was outside playing with Levi and it was not quite light but not quite dark. I felt the memories wash over me. I could tell you exactly what he would be doing or saying if he was standing back there with me. I know he would have had on an old pair of shorts, a dirty tshirt with holes in it and he would have been barefoot. He was always barefoot around the house. He'd have had a dip cup in one hand and a dirty old tennis ball in the other teasing Levi.

Memories of Richie are so important. They keep me going, they heal me when I am down, they give me a sense of peace because it seems like every time he flashes through my mind, its his way of letting me know he is still here with me.

No comments: