Footprints

Footprints

4/11/07

Happy Birthday Richie

How is it that 35 years seems so short of a time period? Right now, 35 years seems so far away. I will be 67 years old in 35 years. That seems so far away.

Richie's life seems so short yet 35 years seems like it should be a lot longer sounding right? I mean, he learned how to drive a stick shift, a tractor, a 4 wheeler...he graduated from high school, got a golf scholarship, went on to get his college degree and then his Masters. He became a man, had so many best friends, met a girl, fell in love, bought a house then said "I Do." All of those things take years and years to accomplish so how come I feel like it wasn't long enough?

As April 12 goes by I am so sad. I know today exactly what he would be doing...he'd get up really early to make sure he doesn't miss his ride down to Coastal Cup with Rad. He'd be smiling the entire way down just knowing that not only was he with his best friends for the weekend but it was his birthday weekend.

He'd have made his "LOTTD- List of Things To Do" on the yellow post its and would have checked them off one by one as he packed. And he would have done all this while doing "reps" on his weight bench. I hate even saying that but that is how much he loved to work out...he would do reps, pack and check email all at one time. It would have even been more funny to watch how he did all that PLUS watch the American Idol results show.

1. Radio (Stacie, do we have extra batteries)
2. CD's (WSP, Creed, Boston, Government Mule, and of course, Monster Ballads)
3. Golf Clubs
4. Cooler (Stacie, which one should I take?)
5. Iron (he always packed it but never used it)
6. Extra cans of dip (Stacie, where is my dip cup, did you throw it out again?)
7. Remind Stacie to feed Levi (reminded me every time even though I always remembered)
8. Cold Beer (he would have written this just to get on my nerves)

My heart is breaking again today thinking of how much I miss Richie and tomorrow I'll blow out a candle and make his wish for him.

No comments: