Footprints

Footprints

4/19/07

The Mountain is Smaller from Up Here...

That is how I feel today. Like I finally made it to the top of the mountain and I am looking down at the path I had to climb up.

A year and a day...amazing.

Last night was so incredible. We raised almost $1000 towards the scholarship and I got to hug all Richie's friends. I drank a beer, danced a little to Widespread and hung out like he would have wanted. It was perfect.

My parents were there, my sister and Trey (and of course Emie), Connie/Phil, Rad, Tracy, Todd, Bo, the softball team and then of course all my girlfriends. Those amazing girls that have never left my side since the moment they found out. They celebrated his life with me. They were all there with me...drinking a beer, smiling and telling Richie stories. It was just incredible. The friendships that Richie made will be kept forever. I don't know if I really realized that until yesterday. I mean, yeah, I knew I was lucky that I had been able to keep in touch with them all. I knew that I could always count on them if I needed something, but yesterday was different. It was about Richie. Truly about him and the life he had with all of them.

Those boys should be proud of who they are and what they have become. They are the kind of men that don't take family and friendship lightly. They love their families, their wives, their children and their "buddies." I am in awe that they all accept me now, even without Richie. But maybe that is the last gift Richie gave me...all of them and their friendships.

Richie, we all miss you so much but as you saw yesterday, we smile now and even though it's always going to be hard and I know I'll still have bad days...you will always be with me. Our love will always be in my heart and soul. It is going to carry me through the next phase in my life and your memory will always be a part of who I am now.

I will always love you Richie Day. Always.

No comments: