Footprints

Footprints

3/24/07

Walking The City and Thinking...

There is something about New York City. You feel like you are invisible...no one can see you or well, if they do they usually are too busy focusing on where they are going to notice you.

That is how I feel when I am in this city, that I am just another person in a crowd of people just trying to live my life. But today when I was walking I kept wondering where in this city did Richie walk? I remember him calling me from Times Square and the excitement in his voice. I remember him telling me he found a bar called "Whiskey" and that it was underneath the "W" hotel and he loved it. We went there last night. I wondered, where did he sit to watch for "someone famous" as I told him too. Which bouncer did he see and think it was someone's body guard? When I saw the Olive Garden I remembered how he said it was the "BEST" Olive Garden he had ever been too but that beers were $8!! That was Richie, he went to a city with some amazing places to eat and he went to where he was comfortable. That was him- he loved his routines. He went to where he could make a friend and every time he came back he would know someone. He did that all over Atlanta too- Los Bravos, Wing Ranch, The Pool Hall, Two Guys Package, and in Marietta the Shell station where he got his dip. He always made friends...even on our honeymooon he made a friend with the man who owned the desert 4 wheeling company because he helped them fix one of the broken 4 wheelers...he was, as he told them, "and educated red neck."

I wish we had come here together. We both fell in love with this city. Richie used to say he would, "never ever go to NYC." But when he did he fell in love with it like I did which is what they all say...that you either love it or hate it and Richie did love it too.

Walking today in the rain I thought of him. I thought about how I am so glad he got to see the things he did before he died. Richie lived a lot in the final months of his life.

This week last year we were together in Jackson Hole. My heart misses him so much and I am scared of the next few weeks. Again, I wish I could go to sleep and wake up in May.

Richie, I miss you...I am thinking of you so much. It seems like every single moment you are in my mind and on my heart right now. I love you.

No comments: